Camping is one of the most popular family vacation options. In 2013, 14% of people in the United States took at least one camping trip. That is 40.1 million people and comes from the 2014 American Camper Report. While tent camping remains popular, it is not for everyone. If you want to take your family camping but prefer to stay in a building, there are cabins for rent at many parks around the country.
- Make your reservations in advance. More and more people are looking for cabins for rent so it is important to make your reservations early. If you are planning your family camping trip for a weekend or a popular vacation time of the year, you will have to book your spot farther in advance. When you are able to plan ahead, you will expand your options in terms of what kind of accommodations you can find. If you plan your trip for a cooler time of the year, you may be able to get a better cabin with less advance planning.
- Find out what you will be getting with your cabin. Cabins for rent come in a lot of styles. You can go for rustic cabin rentals or cabins that rival the best five star hotels. When you rent a cabin, you should know what you are getting. Make sure you ask about:
- Ask about the kitchen: You are going to want to eat on your vacation and not all camping cabins have full kitchens. You should specifically ask about the cooking facilities in your cabin and at the campground so you can plan accordingly.
- Ask about climate control. If you are going camping when it is really hot or cooler, you may be able to get cabin rentals that have heaters or air conditioners. Make sure you know what you will have to pack the right gear.
- Ask about the bathing options. You are also going to want to clean off during your vacation. Ask what the cabin has in the way of showers or bathtubs.
- Ask about water. When you are camping and doing things outside, you will need more water to drink than when you are at home. Plan to have enough to keep everyone properly hydrated throughout your vacation. Ask the people at the campgrounds what the options will be for this.
- Make a plan for what you will eat. Hungry campers are not happy campers so you should plan your meals in advance. Plan to have three meals a day plus snacks. You should also prepare some of your items before you leave home. If you are planning to do your cooking over the fire or on the BBQ, you can precook potatoes so they take less time when you are on your vacation.
- Bring your dog. If you have a dog, you may want to bring him or her along with you on your camping vacation. This is one area where cabins for rent are better than hotel rooms. You should check on the policy of the campground for pets. Make sure you clean up after your pet. When you make your reservation for your cabin, let the people know that you dog will be joining you and your family on vacation.
- Pay attention to the weather. You should pay close attention to the weather when you are planning your trip. You should also pack for the weather forecast but be prepared for different weather conditions. Even if rain is not in the forecast for the time of your vacation, you should be ready.
- Plan your activities. When you are looking at the different parks and campgrounds where you will take your vacation, you should look for places that have the activities your family likes. You can plan out an itinerary to let everyone do what they like. You should leave some spots open for spontaneous things you can do with your family. You may find some really fun things to do that you have never done before.
There are a lot of great reasons to take your family camping. These tips can give you a chance to spend quality time with the important people in your life.