There are many American cities and towns well worth spending a vacation exploring. Colorado especially seems filled with natural beauty and things to do for any taste. One of the best Colorado vacation spots is Buena Vista, which means “Beautiful View” in Spanish, an accurate name. This is a small town, population less thank 5,000, with a long history on display. Many of the buildings are from the late 1800’s and it is only 30 miles from one of Colorado’s most well-preserved ghost towns, St.Elmo. There are a number of places to stay, such as hotels cabins, or a bed and breakfast, each meeting a different type of traveler’s needs. With a place to sleep settled, attention settles on activities. For that part of the consideration, here are 5 great things to do in Buena Vista Co.
- Hot Springs: Hot springs have been used as a relaxation technique since man first discovered them. In Buena Vista, bathing in the natural odorless hot springs occurs year-round, and for those wishing to try this experience, there are both public and private options.
- Four Wheeling: Both an exciting and effective method of exploration, four wheeling is a natural choice for the terrain surrounding Buena Vista. If visitors aren’t up to driving the vehicles themselves, there are also guided tours that will do it for you.
- Rafting: Conveniently for any who happen to enjoy white water rafting or kayaking, Buena Vista has been labeled the whitewater capital of the United States. The Arkansas River meets the mountainous area surrounding this small town and creates endless river entertainment.
- Fishing: For anglers visiting the region, the Arkansas has a Gold Star rating for fishing, and there are alpine lakes as well. No gear or local knowledge is no hindrance either. There are local resources to rent gear and find the best fishing spots with a local guide.
- Hiking:Although the rocky surrounding area is not suitable for skiing, except cross country, it is the perfect environment for hiking, mountain biking or backpacking.
Buena Vista has an option for every outdoor interest. All of these activities are made even better by the surrounding natural beauty and the small town atmosphere. So call whatever lodging you prefer, be it cabin or bed and breakfast, and make Buena Vista your destination.